Explorers are outgoing, adventurous, outdoorsy, knowledgeable and personable individuals who will share their love of the Canadian outdoors as they explore the Trans Canada Trail. As a brand, is all about encouraging Canadians to get outside and explore the Canadian outdoors. There may be no better way to embody this notion than by navigating the Trans Canada Trail. The Trans Canada Trail presently includes 17,000 km of trails, which traverse our great country from Vancouver Island, to the northern extreme of the Mackenzie River to the far coast of Newfoundland. Upon the trails’ completion in July 2017, the trail will extend to 24,000 kms across Canada. The brand was founded in 1885 and has a long legacy of supporting the Canadian outdoor experience. Products include a broad range of premium camping gear, footwear and apparel.
A True Explorer, Navigator and Planner
- You are a true adventurer who thrives on exploring the Canadian outdoors across a range of geographies and in all types of weather conditions.
- You are comfortable hiking, climbing, paddling, portaging and swimming on your journey. Note – more extreme disciplines like technical mountain climbing or canoeing through rapids will NOT be a requirement of this job.
- Explorers will be tasked with scouting out points of interest and inspiration as they traverse the TCT in order to generate compelling and share-worthy content. They will also be tasked with conducting their own travel research and liaise with local experts as they plan their journey on the TCT.
You are a product and brand expert
- You will develop a solid understanding of the heritage, history and attributes of the brand.
- You will establish a thorough knowledge of all products including their use, attributes, features and benefits.
- As part of your journey, you will put our products to the test in the manner that these items support all aspects of your daily adventures. You will give us product feedback, provide tips and tricks to share with consumers and let us know what you think: especially when the conditions get tough. You will also help us find genuine and interesting ways to speak about the brand and our products that truly deliver consumer benefits and inspire consumers.
Be Respectful of the natural environment
- Explorers have a deep respect for the environment and leave nature just as they found it.
You are Content Creator and Story Teller
- The travels of the explorers are to be documented with engaging photographs, video footage and journal keeping.
- Explorers will be provided a framework for gathering content but also intuitively know how to capture compelling moments and memories which are authentic and true to the brand.
Skills / Requirements
- You have experience in the outdoors with camping, tripping, canoeing and orienteering. You also don’t mind be isolated in the great outdoors for a few weeks at a time.
- You get social media and are a skilled communicator. You are an avid social media contributor and content creator.
- You are both a leader and a team player. You have been a coach, counselor, manager or team leader in your previous life. You work well with people and inspire others.
- Having skills in photography, videography and content production is a definite plus.
- Having some experience or training in media or public relations is a bonus.
- Bilingualism is a definite asset.
- A weeklong training program will be conducted immediately following selection of our two explorers and the execution of a contract with each in early May. The training program will be designed to deliver brand and product training as well as to augment essential skills captured in the ‘skills/requirements’ section.
- Explorers will be provided with a full wardrobe of branded outdoor apparel, which is to be worn while representing the brand.
Deliverables and Conduct
- Our explorers will be obligated to provide regular, transparent and timely communication with our management team while in the field. Communications gear will be provided to serve this need.
- There is also a requirement to ensure the regular delivery of creative content (video, photographic assets, journals/blogs) to our management team to prescribed timelines and production quality standards (note – subject to available technology/internet coverage).
- You will seek to deliver accurate and timely reporting of all program related expenses.
- A high level of positive energy is essential as a explorer.
- You will embody our brand values while interacting with the general public and/or producing public facing branded content.
- You must comply